Since Halloween is right around the corner, what better way to kick off the festivities with some fun facts about the bones in our body! Our bodies are amazing things, and our bones play many different roles within our bodies. Not only do they provide a frame for our bodies, work together with muscles to help us move, but also protect our vital organs (heart, lungs, brain, etc), and help produce the blood that flows throughout!
Below are 5 fun facts about the bones in our body:
1. The biggest bone in our body is called the Femur (thigh bone)- it is also the heaviest bone!
2. The smallest bone in our body is called the stapes (a bone in your ear).
3. Babies’ bones start out soft and then harden as they grow.
4. Adults have 206 bones in their bodies.
5. There are 5 different types of bones in our bodies- long bones, short bones, flat bones, irregular bones, and sesamoid bones!
EXTRA FUN FACT: Humans have the same number of bones in their necks as a giraffe does! Giraffe bones are just much bigger!